Fayetteville's Town Square commercial buildings, surrounding the Courthouse, display the town's 19th century origins and are rich with local history. The Courthouse is a good place to start.
Located directly across from the Museum is the Courthouse on the Square. Built in 1880 at the cost of $800, it is a two-story precinct courthouse in which the old jail still exists on the second floor, complete with leg irons attached. The structure is mostly mortised with few nails used, and opened for its first court on February 17, 1881. A calaboose was added in 1887 at the cost of $11. There was a city attorney's office here at one time as well as the constable's office. The bandstand gazebo was built in 1932, and the four-faced town clock erected in 1934 by the Fayetteville women's "Do Your Duty" club, in advance of the Texas Centennial. The clock still strikes the hour and the half-hour, making Fayetteville the smallest town with a working four-faced town clock. On the Square's southeast corner, the Picnic Oak tree is over 100 years old! The two granite markers on the west side of the Square commemorate Fayetteville's founders (erected in 1936) and the 1937 sewer project.
Walking Tour Brochures available at the Museum